A must-watch 17 minute TED Talk. Fascinating!
Some of my key learning points:
- Kids are born to be self-directed and collaborative learners.
- The existing education system could have squandered this nature.
- Technology can rekindle this lost nature.
- The role of educators has shifted.
- Leveraging technology can indeed improve test scores without drill and practice.
Link to Dr Mitra’s Hole in the Wall project: http://www.hole-in-the-wall.com/
Hector Ruiz is chairman and chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Born in Piedras Negras, Mexico, Dr. Ruiz is passionate about the role of technology in education and empowering the underprivileged. At the 2004 World Economic Forum in Davos, he announced AMD’s 50×15 Initiative, a commitment to provide 50 percent of the world’s population with basic Internet access by the year 2015.
Ruiz contends that his company’s 50×15 initiative is “not only possible; it is perhaps the most important transformational event we will experience in our lifetime.”
“Technology is only as powerful as it is accessible. The IT industry has nearly unlimited potential to educate the world by connecting the world.”Hector Ruiz